Treatment of a foot drop depends upon the underlying cause of the injury and is therefore tailored to the person. Our Neuro physiotherapists at The Waterfall Clinic can help promote a more normal walking pattern. The aim of physiotherapy for a person with foot drop is to:
A drop foot is due to either weakness of the muscles needed to lift the foot or tightness in the calf muscles. A person with foot drop may have difficulty in walking and may be at risk of falling. People with a drop foot may walk differently because the foot muscles are weak and the calf muscles are tight. Walking, especially on uneven ground can be a challenge and the person is more likely to stumble and fall.
Foot drop is when the foot cannot be cleared off the ground during walking.
Common causes of foot drop include:
- Peripheral nerve injuries
- Drug toxicities
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease
- Increase balance and posture
- Improve quality of life
- Promote normal range of motion to the foot and ankle during walking
- Reduce fear and risk of falling
- Promote independence
- Maintain normal walking using exercises for the leg and foot muscles
- Muscle strength training to reduce muscle weakness.
- Muscle stretching to help lengthen tight muscles and reduce stiffness.
- Gait re-education to improve your walking pattern
- Orthotic devices to encourage the foot to lift upwards when stepping and prevent injury.
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) to stimulate the nerve supplying the leg and help lift the foot upwards to improve the quality of walking.
- We also have access to the latest generation of Functional electrical stimulation (FES) for gait rehabilitation. Your physiotherapist will determine whether you are suitable for this treatment.
”I suffered foot drop recently and was referred to the waterfall clinic for physiotherapy. After a through assessment, I was given electrical stimulation treatment and specific exercises to do. I was also advised to wear a split to reduce my risk if falls. Since then I have had no more falls and the strength in my foot is improving. Johanne was very professional, knowledgeable, and helpful at all times.Brendan Donaghy
Why Choose Us?
Access to latest
Fully accessible clinic
and rehabilitation gym